Wednesday, July 3, 2013

4th Star Medallion


4th of July Star Medallion

Hello Robin's Nest Readers,

Robin here, and I'm so excited to be back on schedule!  I will post every Wednesday again, and share some of my ideas with you.  I know that I keep on telling you how much I love my country.  You know, living in Africa for 2 years just gave me so much more love for America than I ever could have imagined.  So, I am always thinking of what I can do to add to my America collection of things to decorate my home. 
I was visiting a beautiful home interior store 4 weeks ago, and they had some fantastic medallions that I fell in love with, only drawback was that they were $25 each, ouch!  As I looked at them, I thought, I think I can create my own version of this medallion.

Here it is, displayed in a clear flower vase, in all of its glory.  Red, White, and Blue my favorite American Colors!

How did I create this medallion?  I will try my very best to show you how.


Star and Glitter chipboard                           Rolling wire on small dowel

I started with Red, Blue, and Silver glitter chipboard, a 8" star cut out of Blue crackle CS with my cricut.
I used the glitter die cut stars package, and made a twisted wire and attached the wire between 2 stars with a glue dot.
Star with wire glued with glue dot, then put the star on top of the wire and glue dot to create the hanging star. 


With the Red Glitter Stripe CS, I die cut a medallion shape, and made my medallion.  I also learned most recently that the fastest way to make these is with a circle opening and gluing the center and the side with a hot glue gun.  Fast and easy, and it won't fight with you to stay glued! 

I then cut 2 circles, both circle shapes are drawn on the glitter chipboard, then cut with scalloped shaped scissors. (I used bowls from my kitchen cupboard for the circle shapes)  I traced a smaller star shape and cut it out of the blue glitter chipboard.
 I then began to layer the circles and stars. I used a 1/2 inch foam square between my first layers to make the medallion really pop up.  I put the wire with the stars in this foam.
 I then layered the scalloped red and silver chipboard circles, also using pop dots, then the medium blue glitter chipboard star, then the small medallion made with the Red Glitter Stripe CS, then a small blue glitter chipboard star.  Then at each scallop I adhered blue tear drops on the red glitter chipboard circle, and red mini dew drops on the silver chipboard circle, pearl white diamond drops on the small blue chipboard star.  I use Scraperfect's Best Glue Ever to adhere the dew drops to the glitter chipboard.
 I cut 4 th with my cricut and used the red glitter paisley cs, and blue crackle for the th.  I tied a bow on the 4 with Timeless twine in red and white.
 Here is a closer look at the layers and how each layer is popped.

I love the 4th on this/
Between the 1/2 in foam layer, I glued a dowel with the hot glue gun.  Then I used Blue and white stripe ribbon (May Arts), and Red ribbon, and Red rumpled ribbon (Love Bug Creations)

I have displayed this in my living room, in the clear vase.  4th of July, Celebrating America's Birthday,  The country I absolutely LOVE!

See you next Wednesday!  

Hugs,

Robin

Robin's Nest Products used:

Red, White, Blue Glitter Stars Pkg

No comments: