Friday, April 19, 2019

The Book of Mormon - Lesson 13 - Christ's Week of Awe


Lesson 13

The Book of Mormon
Another Testament of Christ

Ministry of Jesus to the Nephite Nation
3 Nephi:11-28


         Jesus continues to love the people whom He knew in the preexistence.  He stood in the great council and offered Himself for the children of God.  Now as the Book of Mormon has been revealed and translated for us in our day, we again have another witness of Jesus Christ, another book that verifies that He lives, that He is the Christ, the Son of God, who came to this earth and sacrificed Himself for the children of God by taking upon Himself the sins of the world, giving us the atonement of His blood.  The Book of Mormon is another witness of Christ, that the world may know His work, His sacrifice, His love for all mankind.
         Through out the entire Book of Mormon there are teachings that come directly from the Savior of the World.  He teaches Nephi, Alma, Ammon, Jacob, Moroni, and many other prophets His word.  These prophets are commanded to teach these words to the people. The Book of Mormon is filled with teachings of Jesus Christ, His word, His light, His love.  As you read the Book of Mormon, you learn these things about our Lord and Savior and within its pages it tells us that  “we labor diligently to engraven these words upon plates, hoping that our beloved brethren and our children will receive them with thankful hearts....for this intent we have written these things, that they may know that we know of Christ.” (Jacob 4:4)
            During our travels we have visited many countries, one of which is France.  In the city of Paris,  you can climb  the steps to the Butte Montmartre, and there are a lot of steps, you come to
a spectacular church, The Sacred Heart Basilica, know in Paris as Sacre-Coeur.  There are some different things about this church that touched me as we visited.  The outside of Sacre-Coeur is made of a white stone.  This is a special type of stone that when it rains, it beaches white.  Thus represents the purity of our risen Lord, the inside of the church throughout it are pictures of the Jesus risen from the dead.  I don't exactly remember if there are some crucifixion pictures, but what stood out to me the most was all of the pictures of the risen Lord.  I love that the emphasis is on the ascension of the Savior as opposed to His death.  This risen Son of God is He who visits the Nephites in the 3rd book of Nephi.
            In the 3rd book of Nephi in the Book of Mormon, Jesus comes and visits the Nephite people.  They have been a wicked and adulterous generation, and have been warned over and over to repent and come unto Christ.  It is prophesied that the Savior will come and visit the righteous people.  But it is difficult for the people to be obedient, and many fall away from the teaching of the prophets of Jesus Christ.  In chapter 11 of 3rd Nephi, He comes after a great destruction of the land, earthquakes, fires, whirlwinds, tumultuous days, and many days of complete darkness.  The Savior comes to visit the people of the Nephite land. 
            He shows Himself to them, His hands and His feet, and tells them, “I am Jesus Christ the Son of God.  I created the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are.  I was with the Father from the beginning.  I am in the Father, and the Father in me; and in me hath the Father glorified his name.  I came unto my own, and my own received me not.  And the scriptures concerning my coming are fulfilled.  And as many as have received me, to them have I given to become the sons of God; and even so will I to as many as shall believe on my name, for behold, by me redemption cometh, and in me is the law of Moses fulfilled.  I am the light and the life of the world.  I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.” (3 Nephi 9: 15-18)
            John 10:16 tells us “ And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.”  In the Book of Mormon Jesus tells the Nephites that they are that fold: “And verily I say unto you, that ye are they of whom I said: Other sheep I have which are not of this fold....And they understood me not, for they supposed it had been the Gentiles... But behold, ye have both heard my voice, and seen me, and ye are numbered among those whom the Father hath given me.” (3 Nephi 15: 21-24)
            “Then 'in the ending' of that year” (thirty and fourth year, 3 Nephi 8) “(3 Nephi 10:18-19), several months after the Ascension on Olivet, Jesus ministered personally among the Nephites for many hours on many days.  He came as a ”Man descending out of heaven”; introduced himself as the God of Israel; permitted the multitude to feel the prints of the nails in his hands and feet and to thrust their hands into his side; called a quorum of twelve; gave them keys and powers and authorities; healed the Nephite sick and introduced the sacramental ordinance in the Western Hemisphere; taught the people in plainness and with excellence surpassing much that was done in his Palestinian ministry; gave them the gift of the Holy Ghost; and ascended to his Father.”( McConkie, B.4, p. 307)
            What an amazing work He did and shared with the Nephite people.  They enveloped Him with loving hearts, and believed.  He blessed their children and was encircled with fire as the angels ministered to them.  He prays for the Nephite people and wept because His joy was full, and blessed them because of their faith. He asked for the people to return to their homes, and He would ascend to His father, “And it came to pass that when Jesus had thus spoken, he cast his eyes round about again on the multitude, and behold they were in tears, and did look steadfastly upon him as if they would ask him to tarry a little longer with them.” (3 Nephi 17:5)  Oh how they loved Him!!  He did stay with them a little longer.
            The Book of Mormon is filled with His teachings, 3rd Nephi is filled with His ministry to the Nephite people, His love for them, and their love for Him.  In a Sunday School class I attended in high school, I remember the teacher asking us what was our favorite book in the Book of Mormon.  At that time, I had not determined what that book was for me.  One of my closest friends shared her love for 3rd Nephi and why.  It touched me to the heart, and I knew I must study that book and find out why she loved it so much.  Today, I can testify, that Jesus is my Savior, your Savior, the Son of the living God, who loves us.  He came to this earth to live, and to die for each and every one of us.  He came to atone for our sins, so that through His grace we can live with Him and our Father again. 
            Elder Jeffrey Holland gave a powerful address in October 2009 on The Book of Mormon.  He called it our “Safety for the Soul.”  He testifies that it is “One of the Lord's most powerful keystones” of our religion.  He continues “I testify that one cannot come to full faith in this latter-day work—and thereby find the fullest measure of peace and comfort in these, our times—until he or she embraces the divinity of the Book of Mormon and the Lord, Jesus Christ, of whom it testifies... I want it absolutely clear when I stand before the judgment bar of God that I declared to the world... that the Book of Mormon is true.” (Holland, Safety for the Soul, General Conference, October 2009)
            President Monson in his last conference address in April 2017 gave us a powerful testimony of the Book of Mormon. 
            “This morning I speak about the power of the Book of Mormon and the critical need we have as members of this Church to study, ponder, and apply its teaching in our lives.  The importance of having a firm and sure testimony of the Book of Mormon cannot be overstated.
            We live in a time of great trouble and wickedness.  What will protect us from the sin and
 evil so prevalent in the world today?  I maintain that a strong testimony of our Savior, Jesus Christ, and of His gospel will help see us through to safety.  If you are not reading the Book of Mormon each day, please do so.  If you will read it prayerfully and with a sincere desire to know the truth, the Holy Ghost will manifest its truth to you.  If it is true—and I solemnly testify that it is—then Joseph Smith was a prophet who saw God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ.
            Because the Book of Mormon is true, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Lord's Church on the earth, and the holy priesthood of God has been restored for the benefit and blessing of His children....
            My dear associates in the work of the Lord, I implore each of us to prayerfully study and ponder the Book of Mormon each day.  As we do so, we will be in a position to hear the voice of the Spirit, to resist temptation, to overcome doubt and fear, and to receive heaven's help in our lives.  I so testify with all my heart in the name of Jesus Christ, amen. (Monson, “The Power of the Book of Mormon.”  General Conference, April 2017)
            This brings us back to the introduction of this study.  As a young seventeen year old girl reading the Book of Mormon and finishing my reading on the eve of Easter morning,  how God testified to me the truth of this testament of Jesus Christ.  This book has made me who I am today, what I believe as truth, and why I believe in Jesus Christ and His resurrection.  I love this book!
            It isn't hard to say the Book of Mormon is my favorite book of all time.  It has literally changed me, especially when during one of my many readings of the book, I marked in blue anything that had to do with Jesus Christ.  What an amazing journey it took me on, and it is enlightening to notice how many times Jesus is referred to, quoted, and as well as His ministry on the western hemisphere.  This is quite a journey, to get to know this very Messiah, the Prince of
Peace by reading the Book of Mormon.


The Book of Mormon
Another Testament of Jesus Christ

Prepare
Read from the Book of Mormon every day

Share your love for the Book of Mormon and why.
Share the events that took place in 3rd Nephi.
What did he do while he visited the Nephites?
What is your testimony of this great book?

Remembering

Place a copy of the Book of Mormon out for all to see.
Read the Book of Mormon as a family.
Make the Book of Mormon a part of your personal
daily study, a commitment for every day of your life.
Each time you read the Book of Mormon, challenge  yourself
to find a new way to read it, such as marking scriptures that
pertain to just one topic, or several topics,
or mark only the scriptures or words that pertain
only to Jesus Christ.

Act of Service

Challenge yourself to share the Book of Mormon with
someone.  Sometimes this is one of the hardest
thing we will ever do in our lives.  But the miracles that
happen after you have done this will be beyond measure
because of this great act of service you have done, to share
the truth with others, testifying that you know
Jesus is the Christ.

No comments: